The Early Access zombie survival MMO DayZ received a new update! Patch 0.62 is currently available as an experimental test and is the first update to go public on unstable servers.
Although this is considered a major update for DayZ before patch 0.63, which will move the game into Beta, most of the updated content is focused on visually reworking the playable world. This means that there won’t be any new items and loot added, instead the landscape and scenery will be getting a change. Here is what the game’s community manager claimed has been added and improved:
- New tree models
- Denser forests
- New clutter (grass, small plants)
- New surface textures – plains and such
- Improved wind behaviour
- New shaders for the wind, affecting trees and grass
- Tweaked and changed lighting for the world
- Small improvements to satellite textures
- Rain affected by wind and refinement of its behaviour in general
- Many reworked locations in Chernarus
- Reworked ghillie (to be consistent with new tech)
- Small bugfixes to some issues from 0.61
- New ambient sounds
The fan made video below shows off the overall improvement to the wind’s effect on the landscape and foliage.
Since this update is only experimental and hosted on unstable servers, players may encounter bugs and crashes which we are all encouraged to be reported to the Feedback Tracker. Currently the highest reported issues include frame rate problems and the fact that camping for safety is now impossible in pine trees. Finally, added in with patch 0.62 are some vast changes to the game map, especially surrounding the Western boarders and forest regions.
It is unknown when we can expect to see the next big update for DayZ. However, the announcement will also encompass the beta release date and go hand in hand with patch 0.63.